I love February, its the month where I get all focused and prepare and plan for Spring. My dad and both of my granddads worked outside, and so February was the month were you went out and did your digging, laying all the foundations and the groundwork for the big beautiful displays in the coming season.
So here are 4 things that that are perfect to think about in February to ensure that you can really hit the ground running this year:
- Fun: Half Term Fun. February Half Term has become a much bigger holiday over the last couple of years, so if you’ve not run a workshop before, then February Half Term is a great time to start. Talk to your Team Leaders about how to go about this, and for tips on advertising, pricing and even tickets. February is a really good month to identify and start building the “non-event” side of your business, the things that help your business be busy all year round.
- Filling the Diary: February is All about last year’s Diary. Once we’re past the New Year, its the perfect time to go back through last years diary and contact all of the organisers of the events that we attended last year and get booked into all their relevant events for the coming year. I also write into my diary the events that we didn’t do last year, but that I want to do this year.
- Festivals: February is also Festival month, its the best time to be in touch with the organisers of your local festivals, as its now that they are deep in planning land, talking to agencies, booking entertainers and sorting out billings. There are always opportunities at festivals, and every year there are more and more festivals, but many festival organisers close applications in March, so get in their early.
- Fulfilment: Remember to Take Stock in February. If you’ve not attended any events since before Christmas, then February is definitely the month to take an hour or so to go through your equipment and your materials to ensure that you have everything that you need for your busy Spring and Easter. And take advantage of the New Year sale which will continue through February, with special offers on marketing and equipment items. And if you find you have a surplus of particular styles or designs of pictures – then why not make your workshop a “themed” workshop and use them all up?
- Fit: Fit? Yes, Fit. Fitness is at the top of everyone’s New Year resolution list, and by the time we get to February, if you’re anything like me it’s probably slipped down the list beneath my love of cake by now. However, what better way to keep fit than being out there with your flyers, walking around your local businesses, reminding them about your business, or if you’re a new starter – introducing yourself and Sand Art. Local shops, community centres, Libraries, clubs and organisations, what better way to fight off the February blues than by being out and talking to people.
The other big thing to think about in February is Time – Sometime February can be the month where you have the most time, the kids are at school, but we still have the darker evenings, and there are typically less events going on, so its a really good opportunity to grab to catch up with your downline, a friendly call or email to some of those who haven’t been around much since last summer, to build new team members, and also to catch up on some training, whether you be learning or teaching.